The chief financial officer (CFO) is a company’s senior executive and is also known as the company’s top financial controller. Because the CFO is in charge of all financial activities, including financial planning. The CFO’s principal task is to keep the organization’s financial outlook good.
A CFO’s key responsibilities include financial planning, financial risk management, record keeping, and financial reporting.
As a result, all key financial decisions are made only with the CFO’s consent. In some cases, the CFO is also responsible of data analysis. Whether a company wants to raise funds, spend money, establish a new partnership, or start on a large project, the CFO should approve all of these choices.
A CFO’s job is similar to that of a treasurer and controller, in that they work with the finance and accounting departments as well as ensuring that a company’s financial reports are complete and accurate in a timely manner.
Table of Contents
What are the major responsibilities of the CFO?
Because the CFO is a high-ranking and important person in every organization. As a result, the CFO has a huge amount of responsibilities. These are the following:
- Implementation of the company’s financial strategies
- Support CEO in making monthly and annual finance plans
- Management of the company’s financial controls and accounting processes
- Advising on company revenue growth and cost reduction
- Action plan suggestions to meet the company’s annual financial objectives
- Maintaining accuracy and speed in billing and client payments
- Submit all tax documents as per requirement
- Ensuring the financial performance of the company in accordance with complete transparency
What degree do you need to become a Chief Financial Officer (CFO)?
- Finance Qualification: MBA or Master of Science in Finance or Master of Science in Accounting or CFA
- Must have Accounting background (Finance Department): One has to become a Certified Public Accountant or Chartered Accountant, Certified Management Accountant or Chartered Certified Accountant.
It is not at all true that you may become a direct CFO by taking any course or passing any exam. Because the position of CFO is at the top, a lot of steps must be completed to get there. To reach where the goal is to be set. And move towards it step by step.
To become a CFO, you must have the clarity for it. And for this you also have to make constant efforts
If one starts taking knowledge of finance from school level itself then it helps a lot to become CFO.
What are the initial criteria to become a CFO?
- 10+2 pass from a recognized board
- After that have to take bachelor’s degree. If you truly want to be a CFO, you should get this finance or accounting degree. You may do B.B.A. or B.B.M. for this. You can also pursue a B.Com. degree.
- After that, you can pursue an MBA and be given precedence. You should get an MBA with a financial specialization. You can even pursue a dual specialization in finance and operations if you so want. Having an MBA simplifies a company’s financial choices.
Four best business courses to become a CFO
A professional degree, such as Chartered Accountant or Chartered Financial Analyst, is also required. All of this prepares you for the post of Chief Financial Officer by teaching you about the financial sector. Aside from that, CMA (Cost Management Accounting) and CPA (Certified Public Accountant) courses are available.
To be considered for a position as a CFO in an organization, you must have 10 years of experience working as a senior financial manager.
What additional skills should Chief Financial Officer (CFO) have?
You must have spent a significant amount of time working for a company to become a CFO. To become a CFO, there are a variety of qualifications for advancement and internal work roles. To take advantage of this opportunity as soon as possible, you must have a financial background and the necessary skills.
- Analytical skills
- Time management skills
- Good communication
- Cost management skills
- Leadership skills
- Problem solving skills
- Reporting and Presentation Skills
- Knowledge of MS Excel and Database Query
- Stack holder management skills
It is also possible for you to become a CFO, even if you work in an operations-related role. Because operations manager has some technical and financial knowledge.
A person with a director or manager’s position in the finance or operations sector is an obvious candidate for the position of CFO. As a result, anyone may become a CFO if they reach this level. You’ll also be a solid candidate because of your ability to lead.
What is the expected salary for the position of CFO?
The CFO has a lot of responsibilities in addition to being an important part of the organization. Its minimum salary is one million per year, and its highest salary is eight million per year.
And your past wage, experience, talents, and other characteristics all influence your salary package.
Aside from that, the CFO receives bonuses, profit sharing, and stock options.