MongoDB is a database that stores information in the form of documents. The Learn MongoDB tutorial is designed to make learning simple. MongoDB is designed to be easy to set up and scale. MongoDB represents JSON documents in binary format, which is known as a BSON. BSON is a document format that is based on the JSON modal. MongoDB is a cross-platform database that works on any operating system. MongoDB known for NoSQL database.
Other relational databases, such as Oracle, MySQL, and SQL Server, operate with tables and rows, but MongoDB works with collections and documents.
When we need information from a relational database, we use SQL, but with MongoDB, we use BSON to query the database.
MongoDB is the greatest NoSQL database to establish, administer, and operate with if you’re working on a low-budget database project.
In this MongoDB tutorial, you’ll learn the advantages and disadvantages of MongoDB, as well as MongoDB vs RDBMS and RDBMS vs MongoDB terminology, data types in MongoDB and so on.
Table of Contents
Learn advantages of using MongoDB
MongoDB comes with many useful features. So, let’s talk about the advantages of MongoDB vs RDBMS.
- MongoDB is really simple to install and configure.
- MongoDB is a schema-free database that eliminates the need for tables and other pre-defined schemas.
- When using an RDBMS, we should explicitly define the primary key, which is required. In MongoDB, each document has a _id field that is generated by default. There’s no need to bother about defining a primary key.
- It keeps the majority of its data in RAM. This ensures that queries are executed more quickly.
- MongoDB is up to 100 times quicker than conventional relational databases and is extremely fast.
- MongoDB has a straightforward query syntax that is considerably easier to grasp than SQL.
- Joining two or more tables in an RDBMS is difficult since it necessitates the use of JOINS. MongoDB does not have any complex joins, and it is simple to update the document structure in MongoDB, allowing us to easily add more documents.
- You may attempt new ideas at a lower cost because to dynamic schema. You are not need to prepare the data before to exploring with it.
- MongoDB is a horizontally scalable database, which is one of its main features. You can disperse data over numerous machines when you need to manage a huge volume of information.
- MongoDB has a powerful ad-hoc query feature. It enables a program to anticipate queries in the future.
- If you want to learn more, there is a lot of information available here. Any problem may be solved in a variety of ways.
Learn disadvantages of using MongoDB
- MongoDB stores data in a large amount of memory.
- The size of a document is limited.
- MongoDB does not allow transactions.
Difference Between RDBMS and MongoDB?
The relational database and the MongoDB database differ in numerous ways. There are a few key differences between MongoDB and RDBMS, which are described here.
|1||RDBMS uses SQL.||MongoDB uses the JSON language.|
|2||RDBMS is used to store data in tables in row and column format.||Mongodb is used to store objects in JSON format.|
|3||We must first construct tables, schemas, and relations in an RDBMS||However, such tables, structure, and relationships are not required in MongoDB.|
|4||In comparison to NoSQL databases, RDBMS is slow.||MongoDB is 100 times quicker than traditional database management systems.|
|5||A relational database is difficult to set up.||However MongoDB is simple.|
|6||Each table’s primary key should be established in the RDBMS.||The main key in MongoDB is the _id field, which is produced along with each document.|
Learn MongoDB vs RDBMS Terminology
Let’s have a look at how this table explains key RDBMS terminologies and concepts, as well as associated MongoDB terminology and concepts.
|#||MongoDB Terms||RDBMS Terms|
|5||Embedded Documents||Table Join|
|#||MonogDB Terms||RDBMS Terms|
How to Download & Install MongoDB on Windows
- Download the MongoDB (Download)
- Install MongoDB by clicking exe file
Create a folder in your drive where you want to store MongoDB data.
Open command prompt with MongoDB bin folder path where mongod.exe is present
Set the MongoDB database path name where you want to save the data
Type mongod.exe –dbpath path name where you want to save data
C:\Program Files\MongoDB\Server\4.4\bin>mongod.exe --dbpath "D:\\db"
Open MongoDB Terminal
Learn DataTypes in MongoDB
MongoDB supports a different types of data types. Following are a few of them.
|1||String||String data is stored in this variable. The data must be encoded in UTF-8.|
|2||Integer||A numeric value is stored in this variable. The integer might be 32 bit or 64 bit depending on the server.|
|3||Double||Stores floating point values.|
|4||Boolean||Stores boolean(true/false) values.|
|5||Object||Object datatype is used for embedded documents.|
|6||Arrays||Stores a list or multiple values into a single key.|
|7||Min/Max Keys||A value is compared to the lowest and highest BSON elements.|
|8||Null||Stores null values.|
|9||Symbol||It is most commonly used in languages with a symbol type.|
|10||Object ID||Used to store the document’s ID.|
|12||Binary data||Used to store binary data.|
|13||Regular expression||Used to store regular expression.|
Hope you liked this tutorial. In the future we will keep updating MongoDB tutorial to make learning as simple as possible for you. If you have any doubt or query you can contact us by clicking here.